Monday, April 11, 2011

Reflection of the Last Class



(This TV commercial got many favorable reviews because of its creativity. The piggy nose represents the plug, and a lot of people thought it was very creative. I also thought it was well made. One day one of my co-workers, who was a white man, got angry watching this. He said, "why all the white people look like a piggy?" I didn't notice that before. There is one asian girl here. I'm sure this asian girl is totally different from the asian girl in the ad of the airline.)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Last class was difficult for me. I don't know why but I couldn't say a word.
I think I was thinking too many things.
I was surprised to know that one single advertisement can have so many messages which may make some people upset. Why do some people feel upset? Are the people who made the advertisement aware of the reactions from some angry people? If some people complain to the airline company or the advertisement agency, how do they respond? Will they regret making that kind of advertisement? I doubt so.
I have studied advertisements. I majored in not only English but also advertisements and marketing. Five years ago, I wanted to be a copy writer and I used to study advertisements in an expensive private institute. I met so many people who were working in a marketing area. They were smart. Sometimes they were too smart. We see many advertisements which are too suggestive, too violent, or make some people sick. Why did they make those kinds of advertisements? Becasue they didn't expect the bad reactions from the people?
If the advertisement becomes a big issue (with a bad image), how will they feel? Will they feel guilty? .... Well... I don't think so. maybe or maybe not..
Most of countries have some guildlines or rules for advertisements, and many companies make some advertisements which break the rule, and they pay a fine.
They do that on purpose. Why? To make a issue.
There was an advertisement of an insurance product which made a lot of people upset in Korea. It was on the chopping block. So many people criticized the advertisement. It was appeared in some news articles as well. The company had to change their advertisement. Did they feel guilty? No, actually they were happy. They made the highest profit in that year.
Then who are the oppressed? The asian girl in the advertisement? Or the audieces who feel sick after watching the commercial? (If it was made on purpose.)

1 comment:

  1. i love your last question and the commercial you posted is FANTASTIC (by that i mean that it brings up a lot of issues). i didn't know you studied advertising... i've taken a lot of media literacy courses, but i've never really studied advertising and marketing from 'the other side'. i've often wondered what those who create these commercials think about their work, why they make certain decisions, and how they justify them. My feeling is that you are right- they are VERY smart. any response that they induce is probably going to be a calculated part of their message. those who planned the cathay pacific ad campaign MUST have realized they would put off some viewers. therefore there must have been some sort of calculated choice, a risk factor, or something along those lines that accounts for negative reactions. and as you said, perhaps a negative response is exactly what the advertisers are looking for! great post and great examples!

    ReplyDelete