Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lesson Plan (Critical Activity)

Coursebooks, Awalys Good?

I got my lesson plan idea from my presentation. I thought it might be a good idea to let my student have a chance to look at their own coursebok as a different view. I also expected they might have different ideas with us, I mean language teachers, since they would go through the book as a learner's view.

Students level & Age: Beginners or above & Adults
Aim:
a.       to introduce various coursebooks (the same levels) and make students be aware of the purposes or aims for each one and hopefully to make them be aware of the differences
b.       to get them have the chance to see the coursebook with a different view, not as a helper for their studying but as a object to criticize  
c.        to get them have the chance to see themselves not just as a receiver from all the materials of the coursebooks but as an active learner who can criticize the coursebooks, choose the one they like, be flexible, have various views, and hopefully to resist some if necessary

Possible Problems: Language Perfomance (English)
Activities:
  1. As a warm-up activity, Ss can give any ideas about their own coursebook.
  2. After they are ready to do some critical activities, T teaches some basic expressions for discussion. (I think.. I gues... You're right but... etc)
  3. T gives a different coursebook to each group. (Which is the same level with their own coursebook.)
  4. Ss criticize the coursebook talking about problems and solutions. (With a worksheet)
  5. Ss choose a poor activity from the book, and upgrade it.
  6. One member from each group leads the class with the activity they upgraded by themselves.
  7. All students evaluate each activity.
Worksheets

Worksheet 1) Language Structures

Are you ready to be involved in discussion?

Giving Your Opinions
I think… 
ex. I think this is not good. 
I guess…
ex. I guess this picture has some problems.
In my opinion, …
ex. In my opinion, this should be changed.
Let’s… 
ex. Let’s change this.

Agreeing & Disagreeing
-I agree with you./ You’re right./ That’s right./ I also think so./ That’s a good idea./ I totally agree with you.
-I don’t agree with you./ I disagree with you./ I don’t think so./ I don’t know./ You’re right, but I think…/ You’re wrong.

Asking Questions
What do you think?
How about this?
Why don’t we choose this one?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worksheet 2) Criticizing a coursebook

Coursebook, always good?

Name of a coursebook ______________________________
Overall Opinion for the book:
Excellent / Very good / Good / Ok / Not good / Poor 

What’s bad?


Problems
How to improve?
Pictures
1.
2.


Topic /Conversation
1.
2.


Vocabulary
1.
2.


Grammar
1.
2.


Activities
1.
2.




















What’s good?

Any Strength?
Why good?




--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worksheet 3) Making an activity

Make Your Own Activity!
Make it Fun, Interesting, Helpful, Exciting!

Topic ______________
Target Grammar or Expressions or Vocabulary __________________
Main Language Skill: Speaking / Listening / Writing / Reading
How to do it
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worksheet 4) Evaluation form

Activity 1
Great / Very good / Good / Not good / Poor

Activity 2
Great / Very good / Good / Not good / Poor

Activity 3
Great / Very good / Good / Not good / Poor

1 comment:

  1. Creating a lesson plan from your presentation about the coursebooks is a good idea. It is interesting to see what the Ss think objectively about the materials since as you mentioned they are learners and would have many different opinions. I liked how you included a language lesson since the level of the Ss is low and I think it is needed. That seems to be the hardest part of teaching beginner level Ss, building enough language for them to express themselves. In my opinion, I think we should scaffold enough language over several lessons for this to be effective over a long period of time instead of just teaching grammar that may not be remembered ^^. Since I don’t know the contents of your detailed lesson plan, I was wondering in the part where the Ss criticized the books if you or the Ss mentioned “cultural or language imperialism” in the contents. That might be good for some discussion and critical pedagogy. Upgrading an activity is very good since it allows Ss to think critically and creatively :)

    ReplyDelete